Tuesday 12 April 2016

Scifi Ship Concept

In this assignment, I was set to design a sci-fi themed ship, carefully researched and placed into a 3D model before using the technique I learnt that is paint overs. I first started off with a moodboard, as I had done so previously with my other projects. Researching not only from video game concepts, but movies and other medias too. Displayed below are ships from game franchises like Star Fox, Rachet and Clank, to movies like Elysium and Pixel.

 

Drawing inspiration from concept art from Elysium, I highlighted the most common aspects that features on a space craft.


I also had done some more ship research with another project I had been doing in between that helped me further my inspiration and what I wanted my ship to finalise into. The project I had worked on the other hand of it all was focusing on the mothership, and a few ship concepts.


 Here is the moodboard, a few finalised motherships as well as a few space ship silhouettes.



I then started to sketch out a few more concept ideas, before designing a more refined one digitally, taking my most favoured features from certain designs to put together.


I drew and lined my final idea with a greyscale fill, so I could test out some colours before I started modelling in Maya. I took some helpful palettes from the Adobe colour wheel that best complimented each other. 


The one that stood out for my was the blue schemed ship after colouring four out. Reason being was that the others felt too dull, or were too vivid in contrast of eachother.


I started my work in Maya, building each part piece by piece separately before wielding them together. I then later rendered the model to add lighting for my paint over.






Using the same colour scheme and photoshop, I used the paint over technique to the best of my abilities and used some textures I had featured before (as well as my own I had made) to create a more realistic design. The gold design was one I made in photoshop to overlay onto my final design, as the one beside was texture I had used before on another piece of work.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Shiny Master Sword - The Legend Of Zelda